Ever smoked a cigarette? It really doesn’t matter now because inhaling normally in Delhi is now equal to smoking 50 cigarettes a day. Even if you haven’t smoked in your life going out in this condition can make you ‘one packet a day man’. The air quality index of delhi is 451 where the maximum level is 500. Actually this is an airlock situation where the air is moving at a speed of 2-3 km, that’s why smog is not sweeping away and is hanging low. And it has become poisonous because of it has mixed with the moisture in air and has become harmful as hell.
What is smog?
Actually smog is the combination of smoke and fog ‘smo’ from smoke and ‘g’ from fog thus forming smog. It is a complex mixture of air pollutants and fog which interact with sunlight and forms ground level ozone.
You can also read an article on smog
Causes of smog in Delhi
Smog is caused as a result of industrial activities, vehicular traffic, open burning, incinerators, higher temperature, geography of a place, sunlight and calmer winds. All these factors contribute to an all-ecompassing smog. There are a lot of reasons behind this smog but three main reasons are:
(a) According to NASA, burning of crops in the states of Punjab and Haryana is actually the main reason of smog in Delhi.
A forecast by NASA points very high level of thermal anomalies in Punjab and some portion of Pakistan. it is estimated that 32 million tons (30 billion kgs) of straw has been burned by famers.
This is an old age practice and is the cheapest way to clear their land faster but it creates tons of pollution in air. Even Govt. has suggested alternative methods and banned crop burning but they ain’t changing their way of cleaning their land.
(b) The particulate matter (PM 2.5) which shouldn’t be more than 60 is 7 times higher than desired level. And because of slow movement of air its not dispersing.
(c) Other than that automobiles, industries, construction sites, crackers burnt on festivals are usual sources.
Effects of Smog
- Chest infection/Irritation – Inhalation of ground-level ozone leads to cough and irritation and there are also rare chances of lung infections.
- Asthma/Bronchitis/Emphysema – Patients of such respiratory problems can undergo some worst conditions whenever smog is off the charts. They can have severe Asthma attacks. The risk of developing these diseases also go off the charts.
- Cold and eye irritation
- Premature mortality
- Damages crops
But these effects of smog are different and depends upon lifestyle, health condition and age of persons like:
- Children – Children most of the time stay outdoors, that’s why they are more prone to get affected by smog the most and their risk of developing Asthma is quite high.
- People with respiratory disorders – If someone already has respiratory problems then they will experience worst symptoms when they will be exposed to smog.
- Adults with a high level of outdoor activity– People who do a lot of exercise, cycle or jog or stay outdoor for their jobs they are also more prone to get affected by smog.
- First of all if you have to stay outdoors for a long time because of your job start wearing N95 masks it will protect you from smog. People who do exercises daily postpone them for atleast one week stay at home as long as you can because even the use of the mask will not protect you from smog it’ll just reduce the harm. Don’t let your children to play outdoor keep them engage in indoor activites. This will protect them from smog and also while doing physical activities we inhale more than normal so it’ll be more harmful.
- Keep your doors and windows closed.
- If you think that drinking filtered water can help to prevent damage you are wrong. You merely drink two to four litres of filtered water a day.
- Drink tulsi ginger tea twice a day. It’ll help cleaning your respiratory system. You can also take tulsi ginger and gur(jaggery) juice, 10-15ml a day. It’ll help to cleanse your respiratory system and reduce the effect of smog you will take in whole day.
- Try taking citrus fruits like lemon, gooseberries, oranges etc. in your diet. The vitamin C content will boost your immunity.
- Eat as much spinach and carrot in these days.
- Use olive oil to prepare food. It’ll boost your immune system.
- Drink turmeric milk daily(Its nothing like a recipe just add a teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk)
- Drink a glass of pomegranate juice daily.
You can find a lot of Ayurveda hacks on the internet. This situation won’t last long. So there is no need to worry but stay at home as more you can and try the remedies if have listed above it’ll help you stay safe.
Delhi Govt. is taking actions to fight this gas chamber situation in Delhi. And soon it’ll end but for the meantime stay healthy and safe.