In today’s world digital marketing is one of the leading pioneers in the marketing world. Many companies are now looking forward to delivering their products through digital marketing.
For this, many institutes are giving training in digital marketing. But the training comes fruitful if one could land in a digital marketing firm by giving a satisfying answer in the interview.
For this, I have prepared some questions which can come very handy for answering questions which are generally asked in the digital marketing interview.
These questions are generally asked in the digital marketing interview, to test the skill knowledge and to know how much depth a student is having in this skill.
It also enables an interviewer to judge whether a candidate is truly applicable for the job or not. The questionnaires which are given in this blog will help a candidate to know what kind of questions are going to be asked in the interview.
The digital marketing interview questions can be broadly categorized into 4 types which are
- Basic Knowledge
- In-Depth Question
I have made these 4 broad categories since I have observed students being asked questions that falls under these categories.
So here are the questions which are being asked by the interviewers in digital marketing.
What’s in it for me?
- What is digital marketing? Why there is a need for digital marketing?
- Why Online marketing is nowadays more effective?
- Difference between Online marketing and offline marketing
- Explain SEO, Keyword and also explain how a keyword is important in SEO
- How you characterize bad links?
- Explain about Google Ad words
- How can you create natural backlinks for your site?
- What does On-Page Optimization consist of?
- What do you mean by indexing and crawling? Are these terms related to each other or are they different?
- What is Look Alike audience?
- How to do effective keyword research?
- Can you differentiate between custom audience and Look-Alike Audience?
- What is Remarketing? And how can you do an effective remarketing using digital mode?
- Which one do you consider the best digital marketing tool Social Media Posting or SEO?
- What do you mean by the following terms?
Grey Hat and
Can you give some relevant examples while explaining them?
- Which platform you feel comfortable for posting?
- What is the meaning of impression and reach?
- What is the advantage of a hashtag?
- Is it necessary to put content in our post?
Suppose we wish to post an image on Facebook, how much % of the text is best suited here?
- Which one is Important? A high engagement rate on a page or Followers/ likes?
- You have created content for an ad campaign, and you have posted it on Facebook. After a couple of days, when you saw the performance of the ad, you observed only 5 people liked your content. You again did remarket for the same ad and after some days you saw, that those 5 people only watched and no likes came. Now, what step should you adopt?
- Can you briefly explain what is content marketing?
- When you create content, do you use images, videos, texts?
- How best can you create content?
- How much weight you give to text when creating info graphs?
- How much weight you give to text when creating info graphs?
- Can you name some search Engine?
- How to do #tag research?
- What do you mean by pixel?
- What are the key metrics to measure a successful paid search campaign?
- Can you name some Digital Marketing Channel?
- Can you name some PPC tools that are used in Digital Marketing?
- Is Youtube Marketing effective?
- Differentiate SEO and SEM in one word.
- What is the meaning of the following terms
The interviewer generally asks with basic questions like
What is digital marketing? Why there is a need for digital marketing?
Digital marketing is a terminology which is used for targeting, promoting, converting a lead to a customer. Its main purpose is to promote the branding of a product, building preferences and increasing sales through various digital marketing techniques. Sometimes it is also referred to as brand marketing technique through the internet. Through digital marketing, a marketer can approach the consumers digitally.
Why Online marketing is nowadays more effective?
Online marketing, or commonly known as digital marketing, nowadays is a buzzword among marketers. Around 450 million people use the internet in various devices, like laptop, smart-phones, tablets etc… In the case of smart-phone consumers, the number is in rapid growth and so are the internet subscribers. Hence, there is a tremendous opportunity for a company to tap and reach these customers digitally. Therefore, digital marketing will definitely be acting as a bridge between customers and marketers.
Difference between Online marketing and offline marketing?
Following are the differences between Offline and Online marketing.
|Online Marketing||Offline Marketing|
|In online marketing, marketer approach customers digitally.||In offline marketing, marketers approach customers directly.|
|Here, specifically targeted customers are shown specific ads.||In offline marketing, no specific targets can be done. Target is generally done in a broader way.|
|It is cost-effective||It is expensive compared to digital marketing|
|In online marketing, marketing and remarketing is possible.||In offline marketing, marketing is possible, but remarketing proves to be very costly.|
Explain SEO, Keyword and also explain how a keyword is important in SEO
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. This tool is used extensively in digital marketing. This tool is used for ranking purpose and to increase the website traffic for a site through organic search.
A keyword is a word which is used in a search engine. The best example to describe a keyword is given below.
In Google search, suppose we wish to know those shops that sell red PUMA Shoes. So we type “Red PUMA Shoes”. Google then search for red PUMA shoes and give results. Please note that the keyword here is “Red PUMA Shoes” as we are searching for that particular word. Also to note here is, a keyword can be a service, a product or anything. The words that we type in the search engine are nothing but a keyword.
Importance of Keyword in SEO
Google search engine works only when a keyword is given. SEO works purely on keyword as these keywords help in better SEO result and also for better site ranking too.
Also to be noted is that, keywords help the user to get the best sites to those marketers or service providers who have a better SEO result.
How you characterize bad links?
Bad links can be characterized through the following ways
- Website links that are not relevant to the particular site
- Spammy links
- Links from link exchange
- Links that are not in Google index
- Low page rank or Low traffic links
Explain about Google Ad words
Google Ad words or Google Ads, in short, is an online advertising platform which is developed by Google. Here, marketers pay to Google for displaying ads for any product, service offerings, product listings, video content, etc… Google ads can be considered as P.P.C or Pay per Click. It is the only successful PPC platform.
How can you create natural backlinks for your site?
If your site is a newly launched site, then the chance of getting traffic to your site is almost zero. Hence, the best possible way to generate more traffic for your website is to publish articles in reputed sites. There you can mention links for your website. The readers who read your post/blogs would go to your website and there they can find more related information in your sites. This is the only possible way to gather traffic for your newly launched site.
What is the meaning of the following terms
- Off-page optimization
- On-page optimization
On-Page Optimization: Onpage optimization is used for optimizing individual web page in order to get higher rank and earn more relevant traffics in search engine. It refers to the optimization of both content and HTML source code of a web page.
Off-page optimization is used to create links and backlinks.
What does On-Page Optimization consist of?
On-Page Optimization consists of the following
- Page Content: Page content is the matter in your page. The content should be useful for people. If the people are looking for very specific information in your content, then that information should be readily available in your content.
- Title Tags: Title tags are being used for targeting keywords.
- Header: Headers are being given a little weigh by search engine since it is through this header that a user can reach to the site.
- URL Structure: In URL, keywords come. So it is advised to keep the keyword in the URL. If required, you can keep the necessary changes in the URL.
- Alt-Text: Alt Text is basically used for texting information pertaining to the images that we post in the articles.
What is Look Alike audience?
Look-Alike Audience: Look-Alike Audience is a way to reach those customers who seem to have a liking to the marketers business.
- How to create a Look-Alike audience?
Look-Alike Audience can be created using the following steps/procedure
- Go to your Audience
- Click the Create Audience dropdown and choose Look Alike Audience
- Choose the country/ countries where you’d like to find a similar set of people
- Choose your desired audience size with the slider.
- Click Create Audience.
Can you differentiate between custom audience and Look-Alike Audience?
Custom Audience: Custom Audience is that audience who are already existing customers.
Look-Alike Audience: Look-Alike Audience on another hand, are those audiences are those who are not existing customers. In fact, it enables a marketer to explore such an audience group, who could be liking the persona in a similar fashion. Thus, making these customers loyal to your product.
What do you mean by indexing and crawling? Are these terms related to each other or are they different?
Indexing: is a process in which Google decide whether a web page is suitable for showing up in Google search result.
Whereas crawling, means Google bots looking at all the content on the page and analyzing it.
These two terms are completely different.
How to do effective keyword research?
There are different ways to do effective keyword research.
- First and foremost is using Google keywords. In this, a user gets to know about various keywords which are being used by many people and what is their ranking.
- Secondly, there are free and paid tools where one can get effective keyword for their specific purpose. Example, SEMRush, MOOSE, Ubersuggest etc…
- Type a specific keyword in the Google search and there you can view how many people have searched for that particular keyword.
What is Remarketing? And how can you do an effective remarketing using digital mode?
Remarketing is a terminology which is used in marketing and digital marketing. In traditional marketing, doing remarketing is a bit expensive. Since, this methodology unlike digital marketing, includes paper banners, Advertisements, hoardings, radio broadcasting, television ads etc… It is meant for showing and promoting a product to a large customer and chances of getting a prospective customer are very limited. Whereas, in the case of Digital Marketing, remarketing can be done in a very effective way. Using the concept of Look-Alike Audience, one can do target marketing, niche marketing and even remarketing of their products/services.
Which one do you consider the best digital marketing tool Social Media Posting or SEO?
Social Media Posting and SEO are two different techniques, being used by a digital marketer.
Social Media Marketing:
Social Media Posting or commonly known as Social Media Marketing is a way of doing marketing using Social Media sites like FaceBook, LinkedIn,
Using these platforms, a digital marketer can do positioning, targeting and niche-based marketing. SEO, on the other hand, is another way of marketing where one has to find a suitable keyword, make some attractive contents and then posting in a reputed site. Thereafter, you need to create backlinks for the post, so that any user who reads your post could go to your landing page for more detailed information. If the keyword strength is good then automatically the Google Search Engine ranks it up in the higher page.
What do you mean by the following terms?
1. Black Hat
2. Grey Hat
Can you give some relevant example while explaining them?
Grey hat: Grey hat is generally considered as the proper way of doing SEO, which is adhered to the guidelines mentioned in Google. It helps Google to systematically crawl all the pages and once it finds all relevant information available on the page, then it ranks it at top.
Black hat: Black hat SEO is being used to illegitimate or misguide the users for that information which they are searching for.
Hashtags: Hashtags are commonly used in Social Media marketing. Hashtags are commonly used in group posting, community-building purpose. The main objective of using hashtags is to aware of the user that there is your web page that needs attention. And not only that some marketers also use links in their information( commonly backlinks) which will direct them to their landing pages.
While answering t the interview is specific about these terms as many interviewers would purposefully try to confuse you. They, here are trying to teat your knowledge skills in digital marketing.
Now we talk about Social Media based marketing.
It is obvious that when you appear for an interview as a fresher or experienced, it is not mandatory that limited questions will be asked from each and every topic. Some interviewers may ask from SEO, some may ask from Social Media and some may ask from other topics.
In Social Media here are some of the questions which are frequently asked by the interviewer.
Which platform you feel comfortable for posting?
Please note that in the above question, the interviewer is not asking for a specific platform ( Social Site). What you should interpret from this question is, you should be aware of what each social media site is used for.
Like for example, if we talk about FaceBook, it is used for posting text, images, videos, banners etc…
But in other social media platforms, different purposes are met.
For example, in Instagram, you can post images and videos but there is no place for texting.
In LinkedIn, text can post but with limitation. Similarly, on Twitter, you can text but only up to 150 characters.
So while giving answer be specific to a social site which you feel easy and comfortable while doing a posting.
What is the meaning of impression and reach?
It is one of the favourite questions which many interviewers ask as here, many candidates fail to provide valid and to the point answer for this question.
The answer should be
Impression: Impression is how many times your post has been sent to potential customers.
Whereas, Reach, is how many users have viewed your post.
One specific point which I feel a candidate ought to remember is that Reach is defined by the number of users viewing your post. It is not meant that how many people have commented on your post.
So here we should keep in mind a clear image on Reach and Impression.
Next question which comes in mind is
What is the advantage of a hashtag?
Before starting this answer, first, let us know what is a #tag?
Hashtags are a symbol which is used for community building.
We observe in many social sites #foodmania, #collegebuddies etc…
All these are communities and these communities are coined as hashtags.
In these hashtags, users from all over the globe join and share their feelings. So as a marketer, what you need to know is, it is the best place where you can provide information about your product/service or anything as such which can attract your followers.
Hashtags are used in all social sites.
Different hashtags communities for different social sites and for a different purpose.
Hence, it is important to know where and which hashtags re to be used.
Now there is another question which interviewer ask is
How to do #tag research?
There are tools that help in doing effectively Hashtag research. But in general speaking, it is advised that you first what others are using hashtags for their posting. It is better to do a little research on hashtags since if too many hashtags are used in the post then the user can get a wrong impression and may not see your post in the future. Hence, hashtags should be precise, relevant to the post that we are posting.
Next, we also come across questions like
Is it necessary to put content in our post?
Suppose we wish to post an image on Facebook, how much % of the text is best suited here?
In the above question, the interviewer is judging your creativity. We should not post such text, which is irrelevant to our post. Text can vary from large to small or maybe in hashtags. All you have to say in the interview is that text is good for posting and it varies from one post to another post.
Sometimes interviewer can put you in a hypothetical situation where you have to perform a task and they want to know what best possible ways you can do to achieve that task.
You have created content for an ad campaign, and you have posted it on Facebook. After a couple of days, when you saw the performance of the ad, you observed only 5 people liked your content. You again did remarket for the same ad and after some days you saw, that those 5 people only watched and no likes came. Now, what step should you adopt?
Here a few things need to be observed.
* When I posted my ad for the first time, only 5 people liked my post.
* Second, when I ran the same campaign I saw the same people watched the post, but no likes came.
Hence, you should be in a position to tell the interviewer that sir, though I have run two times my ad campaign and the same number of people watched my ad. In that case, I will use hashtags, I will do some research for the content and analyze if there is any possibility to increase the age group( only where age grouping is required).
This way interviewer will think that yes the candidate can think in a creative way. Interviewers always observe not only your theoretical part but they also observe how you think practically.
Speaking about content, there are many questions arising from content marketing.
Like for example
Can you briefly explain what is content marketing?
How best can you create content?
When you create content, do you use images, videos, texts and how much weight you give for text in your post?
Here, content is whatever we are creating or writing is content and when we post those contents for attracting customers then it is termed as content marketing. Content marketing can be simply a blog post to a social media post. But wherever there is a possibility to attract customers then that content is meant for content marketing. There are various ways to create content. For writing texts in your content you can use either MS Word or similar tool. For using info graph where images are being used, then you can use the Canva tool.
Next question comes
What are the key metrics to measure a successful paid search campaign?
- Quality Score
- Conversion Rate
- Click through Rate (CTR)
- Cost per Conversion
- Time Spent on the page
Which one is Important – A high engagement rate on a page or Followers/ likes?
High engagement in a web page is more likely to be considered as important since it enables more traffic for a brand which is promoting its product for the customer.
Can you name some search Engines?
Can you name some Digital Marketing Channel?
- Affiliate Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Search Engine Optimization
- Social Networking
- Video marketing
Can you name some PPC tools that are used in Digital Marketing?
- Keyword Planner
Mention some techniques used in Black Hat SEO?
- Keyword Stuffing
- Link Farming
- Doorway Page
What do you mean by cloaking?
Cloaking is a process which enables to create two different pages. It is used in Black Hat SEO.
Differentiate SEO and SEM in one word.
It enables a website to appear in the Search Engine Result Page.
SEM ( Search Engine Marketing), is used for purchasing space in the Search Engine Result Page.
How can you decrease the load time of a website?
- Using an external style sheet
- Using a few images
- Optimizing images and reduce the file size, without affecting the quality of the images used
- Use CSS sprites to cancel HTTP request
How to find conversion tracking in Google Ads?
- Logging into Google Accounts
- Select Tools and then select conversions from the drop-down menu
- In the Conversion table, you will have to select the conversion action from the conversion column. View the tracking status from the corresponding row.
Explain how Twitter can be used in Business Development?
The best way to use Twitter in Business Development is y using trending Hashtags. Using these hashtags, massive traffic can be drawn to the site.
How Email Marketing can be useful to customers?
Email Marketing uses electronic mail for marketing. Here, a marketer has to win the trust among the customers. It encourages remarketing.
Explain the benefit of using LinkedIn Marketing
- LinkedIn has more than 467 million users.
- Best place to share our ideas.
- An ideal place to communicate among the users/customers online.
- Using the LinkedIn group, the marketer can share answers and thoughts.
Is Youtube Marketing effective?
Yes. Youtube Marketing is very effective. Youtube gets around 4 billion views/day. Excellent place for promoting videos for branding and for launching new products.
For more questions related to digital marketing, please do visit the following